Android 4.3 rolling out to Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition and HTC One
The Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition and HTC One Android 4.3. updates are available as of a couple of days ago. Both the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4 from Google Play are currently receiving OTA (over-the-air) update notifications. Though not every handset owner has received it yet, the details are already rolling out for all to see. For the Samsung Galaxy S4 the update is around 150MB and for HTC One it’s 180 MB. The update arrives only one week after it was officially announced and became available for the Nexus devices. Seeing that many of the Nexus devices are still to receive the update, we can safely say the Google Play editions are on par with the Nexus devices in terms of receiving updates.
Users with handsets will be seeing the OTA update showing up as build JWR66V – the Samsung Galaxy S4 version is the larger one with a size of 180MB, and the HTC One is a bit smaller with around 150MB.
The Android 4.3 update comes with some new features which we have listed for you:
- restricted profiles which enables users to restrict app usage and content consumption
- dialpad autocomplete – adds the autocomplete feature in the dialpad suggesting contact names or phone numbers when users start typing something
- keyboard and input – now they include an upgraded algorithm for tap-typing recognition that makes text input easier
- new camera UI, new updated Camera app, new arch based menu for easier control and switching camera settings
- Bluetooth Low Energy profile
- virtual surround sound
- OpenGL ES 3.0 support
- larger widget panel icons
Other than the abovementioned features, the Android 4.3 update enables Bluetooth tethering on the Galaxy S4 and the IR port on the HTC One.
As we mentioned, the update is arriving to users OTA, and not all users are seeing it yet – if you’re one of them, be patient and wait for a little while more until it becomes available. With this update the Google Play Editions of Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One joins the list of devices running Android 4.3 that only included Nexus devices until now.